Monday, October 8, 2012

The Plan for the Next Week or So

I've got a call with my coordinator from Eisenhower Fellowships in a few minutes, so I figured I would take a few minutes to start another blog entry before I leave.  I think we are finally almost ready to go.  We've packed our bags; made our last trips to the store (well mom is doing one last run to pick me up some Afrin); printed out our itineraries (or at least the current version of them); repacked our bags; made some final changes to our blog (including setting up one just for this trip); and gotten all the lists done for our house sitter.

Ulan Bator in
Classical Mongolian
We leave our house around 5:15 am tomorrow (the 9th) and 41 hours later, if all goes according to plan, land in Ulan Bator also known as Ulaanbaatar or locally simply as "UB".  It's perhaps the longest travel period for Liz and I, but thankfully will be broken up by a one night layover in Beijing (roughly 20 hours in the China on this first transitory visit.)  I've never been to Mongolia, nor do I personally know anyone who has.  While I'm looking forward to them all, it's the country on my list that intrigues me most, primarily because I know the least about it.  

My first day in country I have a meeting scheduled with my in country coordinator as well as two gentleman from the Ministry of Industry and Agriculture.  The next morning we leave early for a drive 350 kilometers (~220 miles) north to Selenge Aimag to tour a crop field, and to visit a herding family.  We'll be staying with the family before heading back to UB the next day.   Sunday will feature an Eisenhower Day of Fellowship celebrated with various Mongolian Eisenhower Fellows.  Monday - Wednesday features roughly 3-4 meetings a day at universities, businesses, and with government.  Thursday will be open for Liz and I too explore before we hop onto the last leg of the Trans-Siberian Railway for our trip back to Beijing. 

Typical scenery on the train from
UB to Beijing
I'll update you as we go, and hopefully take many pictures.  Please, feel free to share this blog with family, friends, or anyone you know who you think might enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment