Sunday, January 25, 2009

Greetings














Sorry for the delay in blogging the past few days - we were mourning the loss of our beloved Flip video camera. It seems as though the seas were too much for it to handle and within moments of submersion it tooks it's last video... so much for "good to 30 feet"!! Nate is thinking about renting a camera from our local dive shop and hopefully we can bring some underwater pictures to you soon.

The water and sea life are incredible. I've mostly gotten over my fear of water and have given up on the notion that a shark will sneak up and eat me (sorry Jake, you're on your own now!) - this was accomplished through the help of Nate's dad via snorkling lessons. I start my diving classes tomorrow morning and am sooooo excited even though it means giving up my next three/four days and nights, devoting them to the study of self contained underwater breathing apperatus(es) - question #1 check!

We've driven the length of the island over the past few days - seeing beautiful "beaches," wild donkeys & goats, flamingos, cactus, and lots of salt (one of the primary products of the island - must give a shout out to the quality of the drinking water here - it's completely desalinated).

Well that's it from my end for now. Enjoy the pictures that I've attached (sunset, salt production, the wavy side of the island, and the slave huts used during the early years of salt production). Cheers!

1 comment: